Financial & Employment Assistance

Social Security Administration

WORKERS BENEFITS: An individual, 65 years of age, who has worked a sufficient time under Social Security, is entitled to Social Security retirement benefits. Benefits may be applied for as early as age 62, but the monthly payments will be reduced. Write or telephone the local Social Security office for instructions concerning filing a claim at least three months before the age of 62 or 65. Individuals who are disabled before age 65 may apply for Social Security disability benefits.

SPOUSE BENEFITS: The spouse of a person receiving Social Security benefits is entitled to benefits even if he or she has never worked. An application can be made as early as age 62, but the monthly payments will be reduced.


Medicare is a federal health insurance program for people 65 or over, and some people under 65 who are disabled. To enroll, telephone the Social Security office three months before your 65th birthday. Persons who work past age 65 should also apply for Medicare, which has two parts: HOSPITAL (Part A) insurance helps pay for in-patient hospital care, medically necessary inpatient care in a skilled nursing facility after a hospital stay, home health care, hospice care and certain follow-up care after you leave the hospital. MEDICAL (Part B) insurance helps pay for your doctor's services out-patient hospital care, outpatient physical therapy and speech pathology services, home health care and many other health services and supplies which are not covered by Medicare hospital insurance.

Medicare Supplement Insurance

Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap Insurance) is designed to help cover the deductible and co-payment gaps in Medicare coverage. Federal and State regulations have established minimum standards for insurance companies offering Medigap insurance. The Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA) publishes the Guide to Health Insurance for People with Medicare. A copy may be obtained at local Social Security offices, or by calling (800) 772-1213.

Supplemental Security Income

The Social Security Administration administers Supplemental Security Income, a program of financial aid to persons 65 or over and to the blind or disabled who are in need of financial assistance. A senior citizen may be eligible for both Social Security programs, yet the benefits will be different. Income and resource eligibility levels must be met at the time a claim is filed. Seniors may apply over the telephone regarding eligibility, allotments, and application.

Go Direct

Direct deposit is simply the best way to receive Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments. Direct deposit eliminates the risk of lost or stolen checks, reduces fraud, helps protect against identity theft and gives people more control over their money. Plus, direct deposit provides people with immediate access to their money from virtually everywhere. Go Direct makes it easy for people who get Social Security and SSI to sign up for Direct Deposit. To sign up for Direct Deposit, call the toll-free helpline at (800) 333-1795, Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 8 PM or visit

Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage (EPIC)

Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage, the New York State Prescription Plan is for seniors 65 or older who have high drug bills and meet eligibility requirements. For more information call EPIC at (800) 332-3742 or email

P.O. Box 15018
Albany, NY 12212-5018
(800) 332-3742


Senior citizens, 60 years or over, may receive Medicaid, depending on income and resources. If you are eligible for Social Security Insurance, then you will also receive Medicaid. Administered by the New York State Department of Social Services, it is based on your ability to pay for essential medical care.

Nassau County Department of Social Services
60 Charles Lindbergh Boulevard
Uniondale, New York 11553

(516) 227-8000

Home Energy Assistance Program

The Home Energy Assistance Program provides a once-a-year benefit to low-income homeowners and renters to help pay for fuel or utility costs. Persons age 60 or over, or on Social Security Insurance, can apply by mail. For information on income eligibility level and application procedure contact:

HEAP Program
60 Charles Lindbergh Blvd.
2nd Floor, North Entrance
Uniondale, New York 11553

(516) 227-7386

Real Property Tax Exemptions

If you are a homeowner, 65 or over, you may be eligible for certain property tax exemptions, depending on your income and resources.

Nassau County Department of Assessment
(516) 571-1500

Tax Preparation Assistance

The Department of Senior Enrichment, in cooperation with the IRS, trains volunteers to assist seniors with the preparation of federal and state income tax returns. Volunteers are assigned to local public libraries and senior citizen centers during the tax season. To become a volunteer or to receive tax preparation assistance, contact the Department of Senior Enrichment at (516) 485-8100. For more information see Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA).

Medic Alert

This worldwide emergency service speeds treatment and saves lives. A wrist or neck emblem custom engraved with medical details, an ID number, and the 24-hour hotline number to access medical records and emergency contacts are provided. Call (800) 432-5378 for information.

HempsteadWorks Career Center

Job counseling, training, and placement services are available for eligible participants. For information contact:

Department of Occupational Resources (DOOR)
50 Clinton Street
Hempstead, NY 11550
(516) 485-5000, TTY (800)662-1220

NY State Dept. of Labor /
Community Service Employment Program

Local offices offer various services to seniors including job counseling, job placement, training and resume assistance.

Hempstead 50 Clinton Street (516) 485-5000
Hicksville 301 Old Country Road (516) 934-8517

Home Improvement Aid

The Town of Hempstead's Senior Citizen Home Improvement Program provides interest-free loans of up to $15,000 to qualified senior citizens homeowners to assist with weatherization, exterior improvements, windows, door and/or roof replacement and emergency repairs to their home. For information and assistance contact:

Department of Planning & Economic Development
200 North Franklin Street
Hempstead, NY 11550

(516) 538-7100 Ext. 355

If you reside in an incorporated village you must apply for this program through your village administration. Seniors in the Village of Valley Stream should apply to the Town of Hempstead.


Page Modified: 10/19/2020 12:29:46