Rules & Regulations
Rules and Regulations for Participation in All Town of Hempstead Programs
- All courses will be conducted subject to minimum registration of 15 persons (except swimming, which is six persons). For information on respective programs, late or future registration, call (516) 292-9000:
- Aquatics: ext. 7239
- Girls's Softball: ext. 7245
- Golf: ext. 7257
- Men's Basketball: ext. 7245
- Men's Softball: ext. 7245
- Tennis: ext. 7257
- Pickleball: ext. 7245
- Soccer & Lacrosse Leagues: (516) 481-4420
- ANCHOR: (516) 431-6946
- Cultural Arts: ext. 7382
- Triathlon: ext. 7244
- Youth Development: ext. 7544
- Physical Fitness: 7266
- Proof of town residency is required for registration and participation in all events and pool memberships. A current (less than three months old) telephone bill, electric bill, deed, lease or driver's license with two forms of identification will serve as proof.
- For programs with fees, full payment is due at registration in the form of money order or check only, made payable to the "Town of Hempstead." Please call Cultural Arts section (ext. 7382) for additional cost of art class supplies.
- Reduced registration fees and pool admission discounts extended to the following residents of the Town of Hempstead:current Military Service Personnel with proper military identification; the physically challenged with a New York State Dept. of Parks and Recreation ACCESS PASS or Nassau County Recreation and Parks Leisure Pass for the Physically Challenged; senior citizens who are 60 years of age and older; volunteer firefighters, volunteer ambulance corps members and auxiliary police officers; veterans with a copy of honorable discharge certificate, DD Form 214, VA card or membership card from a recognized veteran's organization; and children 5 to 9 years of age.
- Late registrations are by mail only. Inquire by phone for vacancies before sending late fee. For late registration, add $5 to the basic fee. Send self-addressed, stamped envelope to Town of Hempstead Parks Department, 200 North Franklin Street, Hempstead, NY 11550. For any questions about late registrations, please call (516) 292-9000, extension 7204.
- All children under 10 years of age MUST be accompanied by a parent or guardian during their participation in all programs.
- For Performing Arts events, we encourage all patrons to purchase tickets in advance. No discounts for children's shows.
- Recreation programs will not be held on government and certain religious holidays. Contact your course instructor for details.
- The town expressly reserves the right to change a schedule, registration or fees, and to cancel, reschedule, or modify any course or program. Not responsible for printing errors in this publication or typing errors on the website.
- Hours of facility operation subject to change.
- There will be no refunds for programs, performances or admissions.
- Family memberships will consist of a married couple and any unmarried, dependent children under the age of 21, residing in the same household. Note: Full-time college students may be included in a family membership. Proof that the individual is a full-time student must be submitted.
- Personal checks must include the name, address and telephone number of the person who is registering for a program, requesting tickets for a performance or applying for a seasonal membership.
- Please read all rules and regulations carefully.
Can Non-Hempstead Town residents use Hempstead Town parks facilities?
Town park facilities are open to Town of Hempstead RESIDENTS ONLY. The Town of Hempstead stretches from the New York City border to the Oyster Bay and North Hempstead division lines. Persons living in the city of Long Beach are not Town of Hempstead residents.
The following are exceptions:
- Guests of a Town of Hempstead resident may use Merrick Golf at a higher fee structure when accompanied by a Town of Hempstead resident.
- Town Beaches are open to non-Hempstead Town residents at a higher fee structure.
Who is Considered a District or Non-District Resident?
A District Resident is an individual in the Town of Hempstead who does not reside in an incorporated village or a special park district.
A Non-District Resident is an individual who resides in the Town of Hempstead within an incorporated village or in Special Park District.
Note: Persons who reside in these specific areas pay different property taxes.
All individuals in the town are members of the General Park Fund, which includes major beaches such as Town Park at Point Lookout and Forest City Park. State legislation created areas called Special Park Districts, where individuals in these areas have exclusive use of parks and pools due to a separate tax levy. A town park district includes persons who do not live in special park districts and live in incorporated villages, which usually have their own recreation departments.
For example, a person who lives in the Incorporated Village of Valley Stream must pay a non-district rate when entering a pool, while a person living in the unincorporated community of Valley Stream is considered a district resident because they pay special taxes which go into the park district fund.