What You Need to Know About the Town of Hempstead’s Adjusted Hours and Services
Tue, March 17th 2020 (5:30 PM)
As the Town of Hempstead implements adjusted services during this time of heightened awareness and concern for the COVID-19 virus, here is a primer on what you need to know, as of March 31, 2020. This is an ever-changing situation and these guidelines could change, and we will provide updates as necessary.
- Until further notice, Hempstead Town Hall is closed to the public.
- Members of the public are asked to call the newly established hotline at 812-3600, a new auto-attendant system that can be used to leave a message to schedule a telephone conference for the Building Department, Town Clerk, Receiver of Taxes and the Parks Department. You can also send questions to these departments at the following emails:
Note: The Building Department is currently operating a physical drop box located near the main entrance of Hempstead Town Hall for those seeking to deliver documents to the department. The drop box is monitored by Town of Hempstead Public Safety officers and can be accessed by the public from 10am – 2pm, Monday through Friday.
Building Department staff are also available to provide access to relevant documents upon request. Members of the public requesting documents must call the auto-attendant hotline at 812-3600 and follow the prompts to leave a message for the Building Department. Departmental staff will then contact the caller to arrange a pick-up time for the requested documents outside the main entrance of Hempstead Town Hall between 10am and 2pm, Monday through Friday.
For other departments, please send an email. For an email directory: https://hempsteadtownny.gov/directory.
- The Town of Hempstead’s main phones will be staffed between 9 a.m. through 4:45 p.m. at (516) 489-5000. After hours, Public Safety can be reached at 516-538-1900.
- The Hempstead Town Tax Office can be reached through the auto-attendant system at 812-3600 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The office is closed to the public. Until further notice, payments are only be accepted by mail or online.
- The Office of the Town Clerk will not conduct any in-person business, but can be reached through the hotline at 812-3600.
- The Town of Hempstead Water Department is operating at full capacity, continuing to provide water to its more than 37,000 customers. The Hempstead Town Board has waived all late fees and penalties for customers.
- The Department of Parks and Recreation has closed several facilities and postponed all activities and programs until further notice. Parks remain open
- Newbridge Ice Rink Arena, Echo Park Indoor Pool Complex and Rock Hall Museum are closed until further notice.
- All Parks activities, meetings, physical fitness classes, cultural arts classes, youth programs and Camp ANCHOR activities are postponed until further notice. Also, all Town playgrounds, dog parks and courts will be closed until further notice.
- All 14 Town of Hempstead Senior Centers are closed until further notice.
- Due to schedule staggering in precaution of COVID-19, some sanitation routes may start an hour earlier. Please remember to bring your bins to the curb the night before to ensure pickup.
- Sanitary District 6 has temporarily suspended Wednesday and Thursday sanitation collection and Wednesday recycling collection.
- Residents receiving Wednesday recycling pickup will now receive the service on Thursday.
- Residents receiving Wednesday sanitation pick up will now receive the service on Friday.
- Residents receiving Thursday sanitation pick up will now receive the service on Saturday.
- All Town of Hempstead Civil Service examinations scheduled for March 28, 2020 have been postponed. Approved candidates will receive information regarding the rescheduled exams.
- The Hempstead Town Animal Shelter is still functioning normally, taking proper care of our animals and responding to emergency situations.
- Adoption and foster applications are still being accepted and are available online.
- The Animal Shelter is still responding to calls and picking up stray dogs and cats.
- If you lost your pet, please call the shelter at (516) 785-5220 to fill out a lost report.
- The Volunteer program is currently not in operation until further notice – staff members will increase dog walking responsibilities.
- The Town of Hempstead urges residents to keep the following contact information readily available:
Please monitor the town’s website, hempsteadtownny.gov, Facebook (facebook.com/hempsteadtown) and Twitter (@hempsteadtown) or sign up for the Town of Hempstead’s email list for updates: https://toh.us15.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=9aa0404c208de12917468898c&id=e391dbde0d
Page Modified: 03/17/2020 17:30:00