Mother/Daughter Use(also known as Immediate Family Residence)
The Code of the Town of Hempstead (Chapter 85-2) defines a mother-daughter residence as "A one-family home or residence constructed or altered to include a second kitchen for the sole use of the children or parents of the fee resident owner of said one-family home or residence." The approval of the Board of Appeals is required. Additional paperwork will be required for the Board.
All "Mother-Daughter" applications must include the following information:
- A completed Building Permit application form. Application forms shall be filled out in their entirety and shall be signed by the property owner NOT the lesee. All information must be typed or printed. Cross outs will void out application.
- Three (3) complete (unaltered) surveys by a licensed land surveyor.
- A photostat of a recent tax bill, showing section, block and lot and owner's name and address.
- A complete Supplementary Statement form.
- Two (2) photostats of a plot plan which must also indicate existing and proposed buildings and structures as well as the parking for all cars listed on the supplementary statement.
- Two sets of complete floor plans, which shall include ALL floor, room use, decks, awnings, entrances, windows, doors and stairs. The floor plans submitted shall also indicate primary and secondary kitchen units with fixtures. If construction or alteration is required or proposed, a separate application must be filed in accordance with the instructions for filing "of alterations and structures of minor character."
- A non-structural plan will also be required for each set of floor plans showing how the dwelling is to be reverted back to a single dwelling unit after the mother-daughter/immediate family use has ceased.
- A recent Building Department Record Search. (A fee of $25 is required.)
- A recent PSEG-Long Island bill which includes owner's name and address.
- A copy of a deed.
- A minimum of four photographs that clearly depict each side of the dwelling in its entirety, taken during the daylight hours ad shall clearly show the electric meter servicing the dwelling.
- Filing fee of $150.00 (checks to be made payable to the Town of Hempstead).
- A plumbing permit is required to install or maintain the secondary kitchen fixtures.
Applications and/or supplementary statements that are illegible, or that contain erasures or scratched-out words will not be accepted.
The application and supplementary statements are sworn statements. Anyone knowingly entering false information thereon may be guilty of a criminal offense.
All applications for mother-daughter use must be considered by the Board of Architectural Review in compliance with the Town Code Chapter 85-3 before transferral to the Board of Zoning Appeals for public hearing. Unpon review from the Board of Architectural Review, a resolution will be drafted and the application will be forwarded to the Board of Zoning Appeals for the scheduling of a hearing. Additional filings will be required at the Board of Zoning Appeals.