(also known as Immediate Family Residence)
The Code of the Town of Hempstead (Chapter 85-2) defines a mother-daughter residence as "A one-family home or residence constructed or altered to include a second kitchen for the
sole use of the children or parents of the fee resident owner of said one-family home or residence." The approval of the Board of Appeals is required. Additional paperwork will be required
for the Board.
All "Mother-Daughter" applications must include the following information:
- A completed Building Permit application form. Application forms shall be filled out in their entirety and shall be signed by the property owner NOT the lessee. All information must be typed or printed. Cross outs will void out application.
- Three (3) complete (unaltered) surveys by a licensed land surveyor.
- A of a recent tax bill, showing Section, Block, Lot and owner’s name and address.
- A complete supplementary statement form.
- Two (2) photostats of a plot plan which shall indicate all existing and proposed buildings and structures as well as the parking for all cars listed on the supplementary statement.
- Two sets of complete floor plans, which shall include ALL floor, room use, decks, awnings, entrances, windows, doors and stairs. The floor plans submitted shall also indicate Primary and Secondary Kitchen Units with fixtures. If construction or alteration
is required or proposed, a separate application shall be filed in accordance with the instructions for filing “of alterations and structures of minor character.”
- A non-structural plan will also be required for each set of floor plans showing how the dwelling is to be reverted back to a single dwelling unit after the mother- daughter/immediate family use has ceased.
- A recent Building Department Record Search. (A fee of $25.00 dollars is required.)
- A recent L.I.P.A bill which includes owner’s name and address.
- A copy of a deed.
- A minimum of four photographs that clearly depict each side of the dwelling in its entirety, taken during the daylight hours and clearly showing the electric meter servicing the dwelling.
- Filing fee of $150.00 (checks to be made payable to the Town of Hempstead)
- A plumbing permit is required to install or maintain the secondary kitchen fixtures.
All applications for mother-daughter/immediate family use shall be considered by the Board of Architectural Review in compliance with the Town Code Chapter 85-3 before transferal to the Board of Zoning Appeals for public hearing. Upon review from the
Board of Architectural Review, a resolution will be drafted and the application will be forwarded to the Board of Zoning Appeals for the scheduling of a hearing. Additional filings will be required at the Board of Zoning Appeals.
NOTE: It is the policy of this department to abandon and destroy, without notification, any application that has been left dormant by the owner or agent thereof for 90 days. All fees paid in relation to such an application will be non-refundable and non-transferable.
Applications and/or supplementary statements that are illegible or that contain erasures or scratched out words will not be accepted. The application and supplementary statements are sworn statements. Anyone knowingly entering false information thereon
may be guilty of a criminal offense.
Page Modified: 06/28/2021 14:19:53