INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILING FOR A DEMOLITION
A Plumbing Permit must be obtained from the Plumbing Division PRIOR to the filing of the Building Permit application.
Plumbing Division Requirements:
- A completed Plumbing Permit application form. Application forms shall be filled out in their entirety and shall be signed by the property owner NOT the lessee and a Master Plumber licensed with the Town of Hempstead. All information must be typed
or printed. Cross outs will void out application.
- A letter from the NATIONAL GRID indicating that all gas services to the building or structure to be demolished have been disconnected or never have been installed.
- A letter from a private water company, a special water district or the Town of Hempstead Water Division, as the case may be indicating that water service to the premises has been disconnected to their satisfaction or never installed.
for disconnect in the following Town of Hempstead Water Districts: Bowling Green, East Meadow, Levittown, Lido-Point Lookout, Roosevelt Field, Uniondale.
- Contact the Water Division of the Department of Public Works at 1995 Prospect Avenue, East Meadow, (516) 794-8300, ext. 204.
- Shut off must be made at corporation stop at the main and flare nut and water service line must be removed.
- A service representative of the Water Division must be notified at least forty-eight (48) hours prior to disconnect since such representative must be present while disconnect is made and excavation is open.
- If the building or structure to be demolished is connected to a sewer, a Nassau County Sewer Permit, a Road Opening Permit (Town, County, and/or State) and a Town of Hempstead Plumbing Permit for the disconnection must be obtained and submitted with
the demolition application.
If the building or structure to be demolished is not connected to a sewer, a letter from the Nassau County Sewer Department indicating that the sewer spur has never been installed and a notarized affidavit of the
owner certifying that all cesspools and septic tanks have been emptied and filled with clean fill.
- A Town of Hempstead Department of Highways Right of Way Permit for the disconnection/reconnection of the water services or a stamped waiver from such department of no jurisdiction.
- A Plumbing Permit is required for a sewer disconnect and or water connect. The fee is $60.00 for the first fixture and $30.00 for each additional with a charge of $50.00 for a Certificate of Approval.
Building Permit Requirements:
- A completed Building Permit application form. Application forms shall be filled out in their entirety and shall be signed by the property owner NOT the lessee. All information must be typed or printed. Cross outs will void out application.
- A copy of the plumbing permit.
- Three (3) copies of a recent complete (unaltered) surveys by a licensed land surveyor, showing the plot and all existing buildings and structures.
- Two copies of the subject plot plan showing all existing structures and highlighting the structure to be demolished.
- Proof of Workers Compensation. (see section 57 of the Workers’ Compensation Law).
- A recent tax bill covering the subject property.
- An affidavit must be submitted by a certified & licensed asbestos inspector (include copy of license), to verify the absence or presence of asbestos. In cases where asbestos is found to exist, demolition permits may not be issued until the asbestos
has been removed, and lawfully disposed of, and such certification by a recognized licensed asbestos removal firm has been filed with the Department of Buildings.
- A letter from the PSE&G indicating that all electric services to the building or structure to be demolished have been disconnected or never have been installed.
- An affidavit certifying that all underground walls, basins, cellars or other known voids will be filled with clean fill and that every buried storage tank, including all connections thereto, will be removed and the void filled with clean sand, immediately
upon completion of demolition.
- A Nassau County Department of Health Extermination Certificate. The certificate expires after ten days of issuance.
The fees for demolition permits are as follows:
- 1 or 2 family dwellings………………………….$250.00
- Other residential structures…………………..$100.00
- Commercial structures…………………………$500.00
Person to which demolition permit is issued shall notify the Superintendent of Safety Inspection of this department at least 24 hours in advance of the actual time scheduled for the state of such demolition. Demolition shall comply with New York State
Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code Part 608. Safety During Demolition.
608.1 SAFETY. Safe and sanitary conditions shall be provided where demolition and wrecking operations are being carried on. Work shall be done in such manner that hazard from fire, possibility of injury, danger to health and conditions which may constitute
a public nuisance will be minimized, in conformity with reference standards RS-1-1, RS-1-2, RS-3-3.5 and RS-35-4. [AMENDED EFFECTIVE JULY 26, 1995]
608.2 ACCESSIBILITY. Access to utilities and public facilities, including, among others, fire hydrants, fire alarm boxes, police call boxes, street lights and manholes,
shall be kept unobstructed during demolition.
608.3 UTILITIES. Gas, electric, sewer, heat, power, water and other service connections shall be disconnected, removed, or sealed IN CONFORMITY WITH THE APPLICABLE REGULATIONS OF THE PUBLIC UTILITY OR THE MUNICIPAL AGENCY HAVING JURISDICTION.
All affidavits shall be notarized and all certificates and letters shall be originals.
Page Modified: 03/02/2020 12:54:26