Aquatics - Lifeguard Training
The Lifeguard Training class is open to Town of Hempstead residents only.
Registration will begin on Monday, November 2nd at 5pm and close on Wednesday, November 11th, 2020. Registration will be available online at hempsteadtown.com/parks/
Participants must be at least 15 years old to sign up.
Attendance at all sessions is mandatory - lateness is considered an absence.
No make up classes will be offered under any circumstance.
Online classwork is necessary to pass this course.
|Echo Park, West Hempstead
Online at Hempsteadtown.com/parks
Monday, November 2nd 5:00 PM
||November 14, 2020 though December 13, 2020
Saturday 3:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Sunday 3:00 PM to 9:00 PM
|| See Fee Information details below.
|There is a prerequisite skills test for Lifeguard Training.
For more information, call the Lifeguard Office at (516) 565-0508 or Aquatics at 516-292-9000 ext.7238.
* Due to Covid there will be no make up classes this session
Pre-course Skills Test
All candidates will have two attempts at the pre-skill test.
- Swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water.
(Swim goggles are not allowed.)
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance underwater.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Fees are collected after successful completion of the pre-course session.
Online payments in the amount of:
- Online Payment of $212.00 (includes, books, materials and admission to the park)
- The second fee will be an online payment of $38.00 made to the American Red Cross after the pre-test is passed. Instructors will give directions on how the process the payment.
The TOTAL cost of the Lifeguard Training course is $250.00, which includes the course fee to the Town of Hempstead, certification fee to the American Red Cross, book and material fees and admission to the park. Fees are collected after successful completion
of the pre-course session.
Lifeguard Training Fall II 2020 Class Info
COVID-Related Guidelines and Restrictions for Participating in TOH Athletics and Aquatics Classes
***Your registration into these classes implies your adherence to these guidelines.***
- Face protection must be worn upon entering the parks grounds and remain on, except while in the water.
- Please social distance at all times.
Page Modified: 10/19/2020 14:48:08