Aquatics - Lifeguard Training
The Lifeguard Training class is open to Town of Hempstead residents only.
|Echo Park, West Hempstead
|There is a prerequisite skills test for Lifeguard Training.
For more information, call the Lifeguard Office at (516) 565-0508 or Aquatics at 516-292-9000 ext.7238.
Online at Hempsteadtown.com/parks
Wednesday January 22, 2020 6:00 PM
||January 28, 2020 though May 3, 2020
|| See Fee Information details below.
Participants must pay the daily admission rate or hold a valid seasonal membership.
Pre-course Skills Test
All candidates will have two attempts at the pre-skill test.
- Swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water.
(Swim goggles are not allowed.)
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance underwater.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Fees are collected after successful completion of the pre-course session.
Online payments in the amount of:
- Online Payment of $137.00
- The second fee will be an online payment of $38.00 made to the American Red Cross after the pre-test is passed. Instructors will give directions on how the process the payment.
The TOTAL cost of the Lifeguard Training course is $175.00, which includes the course fee to the Town of Hempstead, certification fee to the American Red Cross, and book and material fees. Fees are collected after successful completion of the pre-course
Page Modified: 03/02/2020 12:54:26