Aquatics - Lifeguard Training
The Lifeguard Training CRASH course is only open to Town of Hempstead residents only.
Participants must be at least 15 years old to sign up.
Attendance at all sessions is mandatory - lateness is considered an absence.
No make up classes will be offered under any circumstance.
Online classwork is necessary to pass this course.
|Echo Park, West Hempstead
Online at Hempsteadtown.com/parks
Wednesday, May 5th at 9:00 AM - Wednesday, May 12th at 10:00 PM
||May 15th, 2021 though May 23rd, 2021
Saturday and Sunday from 3:00 PM to 9:00 PM (Total of 4 six hour classes)
|| See Fee Information details below.
|There is a prerequisite skills test for Lifeguard Training.
For more information, call
the Lifeguard Office at (516) 565-0508 or
Aquatics at 516-292-9000
* Due to Covid there will be no make up classes this session
Pre-course Skills Test
All candidates will have two attempts at the pre-skill test.
- Swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the
front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim
goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water.
are not allowed.)
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands
holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
Candidates should not swim the distance underwater.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Fees are collected after successful completion of the pre-course session.
Online payments in the amount of:
- Online Payment of $212.00 (includes, books, materials and admission to the park)
- The second fee will be an online payment of $38.00 made to the American Red Cross after the pre-test is passed.
Instructors will give directions on how the process the payment.
The TOTAL cost of the Lifeguard Training course is $250.00, which includes the course fee to the Town of Hempstead,
certification fee to the American Red Cross, book and material fees and admission to the park. Fees are collected
after successful completion
of the pre-course session.
Lifeguard Training Spring 2021 Class Info
COVID-Related Guidelines and Restrictions for Participating in TOH Athletics and Aquatics Classes
***Your registration into these classes implies your adherence to these guidelines.***
- Face protection must be worn upon entering the parks grounds and remain on, except while in the water.
- Please social distance at all times.
Page Modified: 04/30/2021 13:36:17