The homes were built circa 1868 by Timothy H. Clowes, an architect and prominent landowner in Hempstead. These two prime examples of Victorian architecture stood originally on a site on Alden Place, just north of the Calderone Theater at Franklin Street. The houses were moved to their present location in 1946. In 1947, number 54 was converted to a two-family dwelling to accommodate returning World War II veterans.
These outstanding examples of Victorian architecture are constructed of clapboard, with brick porches, and roofs of a fish-scale slate construction known as mansard style. Included in the original portions are metal ceilings that remain in the hall and first floor, the moldings in the interior and exterior of the house, and the stairs.