Do I have to be a Town of Hempstead resident to apply for the examination?

Yes, to fulfill the standard residency requirement, each candidate for an open competitive examination must have been a bona fide resident and dweller of the Town of Hempstead for at least four months immediately preceding the advertised date of examination. All applications must be submitted with a copy of your New York State Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (or other proof of residency).

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for an examination?
2. How do I apply for a fee waiver?
3. Will my application processing fee be refunded if my examination application is disapproved?
4. Do I have to be a Town of Hempstead resident to apply for the examination?
5. How do I know if I am qualified to take an exam? What happens if I am disqualified?
6. What should I submit as proof if the examination requires a high school diploma/equivalency or education beyond high school?
7. When will I receive my admittance notice?
8. Where are the examinations held?
9. What if I am signed up to take multiple examinations from different municipalities on the same day?
10. How do I request special arrangements for an examination?
11. Are there study guides available for the examinations?
12. What happens after I take the examination?
13. What happens if I move to a new address?
14. How do I claim Veterans Credits for military service on an examination?