Buying a first home can be overwhelming. There are so many aspects that can make it an intimidating experience. With things like broker fees, mortgages, property taxes, and home inspections to worry about, it’s not easy to know how to begin. Hempstead Supervisor Don Clavin is partnering with Town Clerk Kate Murray and Receiver of Taxes Jeanine Driscoll to host First-Time Homebuyer Seminars, which will help to simplify the home-buying process for the public.
“The purchase of a first home may be the most meaningful financial investment that people make in their lives,” said Clavin. “It is incredibly important to have a full understanding of the home-buying process, and the Town of Hempstead is committed to helping residents prepare for it.”
The First-Time Homebuyers seminars will explain and answer questions regarding mortgages, inspections, title insurance, contracts, tax payment information, and closings. Those in attendance will also obtain details on their eligibility for tax exemptions, tax information, tips on how to challenge home assessments, and other important information. The seminars will help people avoid costly and time-consuming mistakes as they buy their first home.
There are 13 seminars scheduled between April 27th and June 11th, and all are free to attend. The programs are being presented by real estate professionals.
“We welcome all first-time homebuyers to Hempstead Town. Through this program, we hope to provide homebuyers with the tools necessary to navigate the complex home-buying process, while minimizing any stress,” said Murray.
“Attendance at this seminar will provide answers to common questions, offer valuable information, and help future homebuyers make informed decisions as they plan to purchase their first home,” said Driscoll.
The seminars will be held on the following dates:
• Wednesday, April 27th at 7 p.m. at Five Towns Community Center (270 Lawrence Ave., Lawrence)
• Saturday, April 30th at 1 p.m. at Merrick Golf Course Clubhouse (2550 Clubhouse Rd., Merrick)
• Wednesday, May 4th at 7 p.m. at Levittown Hall (201 Levittown Parkway, Hicksville)
• Thursday, May 12th at 7 p.m. at Echo Park Community Room (399 Nassau Blvd., West Hempstead)
• Sunday, May 15th at 1 p.m. at Island Park Village Hall Courtroom (127 Long Beach Rd., Island Park)
• Tuesday, May 17th at 7 p.m. at Merrick Golf Course Clubhouse (2550 Clubhouse Rd., Merrick)
• Thursday, May 19th at 7 p.m. at Valley Stream Village Hall (123 South Central Ave., Valley Stream)
• Sunday, May 22nd at 1 p.m. at Echo Park Community Room (399 Nassau Blvd., West Hempstead)
• Thursday, May 26th at 7 p.m. at Hempstead Town Hall (Nathan L.H. Bennett Pavilion, 1 Washington St., Hempstead)
• Wednesday, June 1st at 7 p.m. at Bellerose Village Hall (50 Superior Rd., Bellerose Village)
• Saturday, June 4th at 1 p.m. at Levittown Hall (201 Levittown Parkway, Hicksville)
• Wednesday, June 8th at 7 p.m. at Valley Stream Village Hall (123 South Central Ave., Valley Stream)
• Saturday, June 11th at 1 p.m. at Hempstead Town Hall (Nathan L.H. Bennett Pavilion, 1 Washington St., Hempstead)
Please reserve your seat by emailing Homebuyerseminar@tohmail.org or by calling (516) 812-3611.