Throughout the overnight, Winter Storm Kenan made its presence felt right away by bringing several inches of snow to America’s largest township, with even more on the way. Supervisor Don Clavin and members of the Hempstead Town Board are advising residents to stay off the roads if possible during this massive winter storm as town crews work in the elements to clear the snow throughout 1,200 miles of roadways.
“This winter storm is serious and we advise residents to try to stay home and refrain from driving as our region gets hit with heavy snow and strong winds,” Clavin said. “We thank our CSEA Local 880 team for taking on this massive storm and working to clear roads across America’s largest township, as well as all first responders who are always working to protect the health and safety of residents.”
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning through 7 p.m. on Saturday, and a Coastal Flood Advisory through midnight tonight. Forecasters are predicting up to 11 inches of snow or more in parts of the town, as well as wind gusts of over 45 miles per hour.
The following Town of Hempstead facilities are closed due to the incoming winter storm:
- The Norman J. Levy Park & Preserve in Merrick will be closed until further notice due to hazardous trail conditions.
- The Homeowner’s Disposal Area in Merrick will be closed on Saturday, January 29th.
- The Echo Park Pool Complex in West Hempstead will be closed on Saturday, January 29th.
- All Hempstead Town Park community rooms will be closed on Saturday, January 29th.
The following Town of Hempstead programs are cancelled:
- Town of Hempstead Parks programs are cancelled on Saturday, January 29th, including the ANCHOR field trip.
• On Sunday, January 30th, the “Shape Up Time for Men,” class scheduled for 9 a.m. at Echo Park in West Hempstead, has been cancelled.
For emergencies, please call 911. To report snow-related issues on town roads, please call (516) 489-5000 or submit a report online at hempsteadtown.com/storm. Follow the Town of Hempstead on Facebook and Twitter for updates.