Lifeguard Training Crash Course
- Participants must be at least 15 years old to sign up and must be a resident of Nassau County.
- Attendance at all sessions is mandatory - lateness is considered an absence.
- No make-up classes will be offered under any circumstance.
- Online classwork is necessary to pass this course.
- Applicants must be willing to work for Hempstead Town, Nassau County, or a Village.
- The base salary for a lifeguard position is $18 per hour.
- The course runs from July 14th to July 17th.
- View Crash Course details flier.
- This training program is Free.
Pre-course Skills Test
There is a prerequisite skills test for Lifeguard Training. All candidates will have two attempts at the pre-skill test.
- Swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, and 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance underwater.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.