- Participants must be at least 15 years old to sign up.
- Attendance at all sessions is mandatory - lateness is considered an absence.
- No make-up classes will be offered under any circumstance.
- Online classwork is necessary to pass this course.
- Winter/Spring LGT Info Sheet
- Register Online
- Begins Monday, January 31st at 9 am and ends Tuesday, February 1st at 10 pm
- February 8th, 2022 - April 10th, 2022 (8 Classes)
- $250 online payment after successful completion of the pre-skills test
There is a prerequisite skills test for Lifeguard Training. For more information, call Aquatics at 516-292-9000, ext. 7238.
Pre-course Skills Test
All candidates will have two attempts at the pre-skill test.
- Swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance underwater.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.