- Who may obtain a birth certificate?
A child (must be at least 18 years of age), parents of the child, their legal representative, or a government agency may obtain a birth certificate. For more information please visit the Birth Record Application page.
- What are the acceptable forms of identification when requesting a birth certificate?
Acceptable forms of identification when requesting a birth certificate include a valid driver's license, a valid non-driver's license, a valid passport, naturalization papers, military ID, employer's photo ID, two current utility bills, showing applicant's name and address or police report (of stolen ID).
- Who may obtain a death certificate?
Death records may be requested by the immediate family:
- Surviving spouse (if listed on the death certificate)
- Parents of the deceased
- Siblings of the deceased
For more information please visit the Death Record Application page.
- What are the acceptable forms of identification when requesting a death certificate?
For parents or a surviving spouse, a government-issued ID or a passport are acceptable forms of identification when requesting a death certificate. For a child or a sibling, a birth certificate or marriage license with a government-issued ID are acceptable forms of ID when requesting a death certificate.
- What is the fee for a certified copy of a Birth or Death certificate?
There is a $10 fee per certified copy of a Birth or Death certificate.
- May I request expedited shipping?
Yes. Expedited shipping is available with the use of a major credit card. The total fee is $33.50, which includes 1 certificate, UPS Shipping, and a VitalChek service charge.
- What are acceptable forms of payment?
Acceptable forms of payment include cash, money order, local check (made payable to Hempstead Town Clerk), or credit card $1.50 service charge when paying in person.
- What is the processing time for birth and death certificate applications?
Pending approval of an application for a birth or death certificate, a request will be processed and mailed within one to two business days (regular mail)
- Facilities under Hempstead Town's jurisdiction are?
The Registrar's Office issues and maintains birth and death certificates for unincorporated communities only. Villages have their own clerk and vital record offices. Facilities under Hempstead Town's jurisdiction are:
- LIJ Valley Stream, formerly Franklin General Hospital and Franklin Hospital Medical Center in North Valley Stream
- * Mercy Hospital in Rockville Centre (partial records maintained by Hempstead Town)
- Mitchel Air Force Base in Uniondale
- Mount Sinai South Nassau in Oceanside, formerly South Nassau Communities Hospital
- Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow, formerly Meadowbrook Hospital and Nassau County Medical Center
Death ( Includes locations above )
- Any address within the unincorporated communities in the Town of Hempstead
- Skilled nursing and rehab centers, as well as assisted living facilities within the unincorporated areas of the Town of Hempstead
*This Office maintains some records for Mercy Hospital including records prior to August 1931 and records from February 24, 1941, to October 2, 1941. All Mercy Hospital records from October 2, 1941, to the present are filed with the Village of Rockville Centre Registrar. For further information, you may contact that office at 516-678-9258 or visit the office at:
Rockville Centre Village Hall 1 College Place Rockville Centre, New York 11570