Veterans' Services Guide
Town of Hempstead Benefits
- Real Property Tax Exemptions
- The Town of Hempstead participates in a real property tax reduction program for members of the armed forces on active duty. Applications must be filed with the Nassau County Department of Assessment, 240 Old Country Road in Mineola. For more information, call the Nassau County Assessor's office at 516-571-2490.
- Parks Discounts
- Reduced registration fees and pool admission discounts are extended to veterans at most town parks and facilities. Veterans must show VA card, honorable discharge certificate, DD-214, or membership card from a recognized veterans' organization. Please call the Department of Parks and Recreation at 516-292-9000 for more information.
- Pets for Vets
- As veterans may benefit from having an animal companion, the Town of Hempstead will waive adoption fees for veterans who wish to adopt a pet from its Animal Shelter. Furthermore, all cats and dogs will be spayed or neutered and microchipped free of charge. Call the Town of Hempstead Animal Shelter at 516-785-5220 for more
- Fast Forward Fridays
- Every Friday in the Town Clerk's office from 8:30 am to noon, veterans will be ushered to the front of the line to receive priority service.
- Vendor Preference for Contracts
- The current 5% vendor preference given to local (Nassau County)vendors is expanded to 7.5% for local veteran-owned small business owners. This preference only applies to contracts awarded pursuant to NYS General Municipal Law (GML) Section 104-b and the Town's internal procurement policy.
- Maintain a place of business in Nassau County
- Certification by the NY State OGS as a Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business (SDVOB) or by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Local Business Opportunity Services for Veterans
- Veterans Entrepreneurial Development Initiatives, (VEDI) Inc.
- Hempstead Town is dedicated to helping veteran business owners achieve lasting success. We often refer current or prospective veteran business owners to VEDI, a Garden City-based not-for-profit corporation designed to help veterans build and expand business capacity and capabilities as well as increase veteran employment opportunities. VEDI has been working on the grassroots level to encourage, advocate, develop and initiate legislation and call attention via research and information sharing about the state of veteran businesses within the public and private sectors. For additional information about VEDI, call 917-886-7743.
- View a list of local contacts that offer services to Veterans in the Resource Directory.