To apply for a Commercial Shellfish Permit, please visit our Administration Building or call (516) 431-9200 for an application. Completed application must be submitted along with proof of residency in the Town of Hempstead for at least one year, NYS Shellfish Diggers Permit, and permit fee.
Proof of Residency
To expedite the process of applying for a commercial shellfish license and in order to protect town resources, the following items are required:
- A current General or School Tax Bill or Notarized Landlord/Parent Affidavit of Residence
- Notarized Affidavit of Residence
- New York State Driver's License or Photo ID card
- Two or more current bills (Utility, credit card, bank statement, etc.) and two corresponding bills for a minimum of one year prior
- NYS Shellfish Diggers Permit
View the New York State Shellfish Diggers Permit
- Commercial Clam Permit Fee: $250.00
- Commercial Mussel (Special Shellfish) Permit Fee*: $50.00
Annual Fee must be paid by a certified check or money order made payable to the Town of Hempstead. To avoid any inconvenience, please have all the required items when applying for your permit. Documents should be submitted to the Conservation and Waterways Office located at:
Town of Hempstead
Department of Conservation and Waterways
1401 Lido Boulevard
P.O. Box 180
Point Lookout, NY 11569
Application & Documents Verification
The Commissioner of the Department of Conservation and Waterways reserves the right to verify any and all documents submitted with your application. False statements made on instruments submitted pursuant to the New York State Environmental Conservation Law and the Codes of the Town of Hempstead are punishable as a Class A Misdemeanor pursuant to Section 210.45 of the New York State Penal Law.
*Persons applying for a Commercial Mussel Permit must relinquish their Town issued Commercial Hard Clam Permit, if previously issued, for the duration of mussel harvesting activity. Permit will be returned when activity ceases.