- Veterans Services
The men and women of our armed forces have proudly served our country, making a tremendous contribution to American society. The Town of Hempstead has a Veterans Benefits Counselor on staff to assist veterans and their families file claims for veterans' benefits. In addition, the town offers veterans generous discounts at most town park facilities and on recreational programs. Furthermore, the town participates in a real property tax exemption program and offers free pet adoptions for veterans who wish to adopt a companion from the town's Animal Shelter.
Your town government is dedicated to helping veterans in any possible way. Please visit the Veterans Information Office or call 516-812-3506 should you have any questions concerning your benefit eligibility. Read more about veterans benefits available to senior citizens at the Senior Veterans Service Alliance website.
The services provided by the Town of Hempstead include:
- Aid and Attendance Claims and Information
- Department of Veteran Affairs Claims Assistance and Information
- Dependents Education Assistance
- Montgomery GI Bill
- Non-Service Connected Pension
- Post-9/11 GI Bill
- Service-Connected Compensation
- Survivor and Widow/Widower Benefits
- Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Will my claim receive the attention it deserves? Is my representative concerned about me and my claim?
The Town of Hempstead's Veterans Benefits Counselor is a dedicated, trained professional who will assist you in processing your claim in a timely manner.
- Which veterans are eligible to receive these benefits?
All veterans who have served in the military, including Reservists and National Guard, and their dependents are eligible for VA benefits.
- Do I have to be a resident of the Town of Hempstead to receive this assistance?
No, any veteran or their dependents can use our service.
- What is the goal for veterans?
Our goal is to assist veterans and their families in receiving the benefits for which they are eligible.
- I just got out of the military and have medical conditions that are affecting me. What should I do?
Schedule an appointment with our Veterans Counselor so that we may review your case and offer appropriate referrals.
- Where is the Veterans Benefits Counselor's office located? What are the office hours? How can I reach the counselor when I have a question or want to schedule an appointment?
Our Veterans Benefits Counselor is available to assist veterans and their dependents, weekdays from 9 am to 4:45 pm. For claim inquiries or to schedule an appointment, please call 516-812-3506.
- What do I need to bring to our first meeting?
In the first meeting, please bring your DD214 certificate and yourself.
- How much does this service cost?
These services cost nothing. The cost has already been paid for with the service that veterans have provided to our country.